Durham seamer Mark Wood is “loving” making the adjustment to international cricket.
Despite playing only 23 first-class matches for Durham, the 25-year-old was thrust into the limelight when he was included in England’s squad for the recent tour of the West Indies.
Although he didn’t make a competitive appearance in the Caribbean, Wood made his international bow in the abandoned Royal London one-day international against Ireland in Malahide earlier this month.
Now he is also hoping to make his Test debut, against New Zealand at Lord’s today.
When asked about the step up onto the world stage, Wood told ecb.co.uk: “It is different. There is a lot of media, a lot of people with cameras and things. It is a bit different.
“I’m trying hard not to pick my nose and stuff! It is good. There are plenty of people around.
“Also the intensity of training, the fielding, everything goes up for this Test match. I am loving it.”
Surprisingly, Wood has never had the pleasure of operating at Lord’s, where he has been 12th man for Durham on two occasions.
So making his Test bow at the home of cricket would be special for the paceman.
He said: “There is history, pictures on the walls. The grass is like a carpet. It is a fantastic place. Just hopefully I can play here. Every time I have come with Durham I have been 12th man or injured.
“Last year I was here when Durham won the Royal London 50-over cup final. I sat in the stand watching.
“It was great to see the lads win but also at the same time it was disappointing not to be on the field. Let’s hope it is third time lucky.
“It would be a dream come true. When you grow up in the back garden I was trying to copy the likes of Steven Harmison and Darren Gough, their actions in the garden.
“Hopefully tomorrow I can just run in and be Mark Wood!”
— Paul Collingwood (@Colly622) May 21, 2015
View the Original article